Thursday 18 December 2014

What Is A 'Fangirl'?


Hello all,

Today we are going to be talking about the big facade that is the typical, everyday 'fangirl'

For all those of you who are reading this and have no idea what a fangirl is let me break it down for you very quickly. In today's society there is a big phenomenon around 'celebrities' such as singers, bands, actors, Youtuber's etc and along with that these people build up masses of fans, many of the very dedicated fans that follow their idols every move are becoming known as 'fangirls/boys' 

Although there is nothing harmless in being a fangirl, in my opinion anyway as I myself would class myself as a 'fangirl', some people outside of fan bases, typically the older generation (no ageism intended of course) have this strange idea that fangirls are crazy, deluded teenage girls who stalk One Direction and do nothing else with their lives except stay online all day. 

Well I am here to explain to you all that this isn't in fact the case (don't get me wrong, there is crying and stalking involved in some instances but not everyday.)

So where exactly am I going with this you might ask yourself? I am going to take you on a journey to the very root of why fangirls exist and the purpose of fangirling. Prepare yourself.

If you consider yourself to be a fangirl of someone or something then more than likely you will have a twitter account. That's where fangirls mostly meet and tweet each other all about what is going on with their idol. I know everyone always says 'Be careful of everyone on the internet, they are all creepy old perverts' when in fact not one person that I have met on twitter has turned out to be that, that I know off. In fact I have met most of my best friends on Twitter because of our common love of a certain thing, aka other fangirls. If you wanna become my friend then hit me up on twitter, @5SOSFamDerpCon unless you are in fact a creepy old pervert, then don't.

Fan-girls would love and support their idol to their death, showing immense dedication to the fanbase. Some say obsessive, we say love. With being a fangirl comes a lot of responsibility. I will use myself as an example. I am clearly a fangirl of the band 5SOS, so with that I find myself buying all their music, voting for them for awards, tweeting them constantly, obviously making fun of them for being complete idiots sometimes but then again that is just the fanbase. Buying their merchandise (e.g t-shirts, calenders, books, wristbands etc) and of course getting tickets to see them in concert. (if you're lucky!) You may think to yourself 'wow, what a waste of money for a stupid band that you'll grow out off' but that's where people are wrong. There is more to fangirling than just spending your money on people. 

Many fangirls dedicate their lives to these people because they saved them. They are the only piece of happiness they have in their life and they want to pay them back for all the good things they have done for them. For some people a band or singer's song might be the only reason they are still here today. It might sound outrageous to some of you, but it's true. Music speaks and saves people. 

Some people consider themselves fans of a band if they enjoy a certain song, which is totally fine and awesome if you support a song by a band, but spare a thought for the people whose lives this band have actually saved whether it be through just a simple tweet or even a song. 

I realise this is probably really long and babbly and won't make sense to many people but it was something that I needed to get off my chest because fangirls sometimes get such a bad name and are made out by the media to be these obsessed, over excited crazy chicks who hide in Justin Bieber's bin outside his house and hopefully what you can take from this today is that we aren't like that at all (most of us) but in fact we are normal human beings who just happen to love a certain person or people and dedicate our lives to them. 


"Being a fangirl isn't just a hobby, it's a lifestyle." - Quote by Myself.

If you enjoyed this then please comment and share with those who have no idea what your life is actually like being a fangirl and this might show them!? haha and also if you want more posts like this then tweet me! :D

Until next time, 

@5SOSFamDerpCon

Ps. Sorry for the lack of posts, I have been dealing with some thins but I am back! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment